Monday, December 14, 2015

Shifting Out

Kiran Prakash
This was one association too good to last. It would seem just the other day that Kiran Prakash joined us, literally out of nowhere. He simply walked into the exercise circle, introduced himself and before long, became an integral part of the Big Laaf family – forever helpful and supportive, taking the lead at conducting the exercises, setting an example by being unfailingly regular and punctual and most remarkably, initiating the Annual Day function. We too embraced him unconditionally, with open arms. And just as abruptly it all started, it is ending now.
Kiran Prakash has relocated to Malad.
“I am not leaving you people any time soon,” he phoned up to say this morning.
Razia Khan conducts 'Chinese exercises' in place of Prakash
“I need to be in the Club, both for my physical and mental well-being. The morning regimen has become a lifeline for me over the past year or so. I will figure out some way to be in the Garden early morning – maybe not as regular as earlier, but as often as I can.”
Malad is a good 15-minute drive to the Garden and according to most members,
Nahid Khan gets us Shirdi prasad
it is unlikely Kiran Prakash would be able to keep up to his morning routine however much he would like to. “How is he going to make it?” said Santosh Tyagi despondently. “They all talk like this before leaving. Purushottam Sharma had said the same thing before shifting to Goregaon. But once he left, he forgot all about us. It is not physically practical to maintain old ties long-distance.”
Harbans Kaur agreed: “But Kiran Prakash-ji was a good person.”
Razia Khan is feeling particularly ‘orphaned’, for obvious reasons. On Kiran Prakash’s say-so, she agreed to coordinate the entertainment line-up for the Annual Day function (ref post of December 13) and today, even got Fehmida Khan to commit a ‘mimicry act’. Nahid Khan said she already had a short play in hand and would get started with the casting and rehearsals.
Some members insisted their grandchildren be allowed to take part while Santosh Tyagi came up with some innovative ideas for the ‘ramp show’. She said she would cut short her trip to Delhi this week so as to be able to devote more time for the programme. Alas, Kiran Prakash will not be part of all this action.

Kiran Prakash:
I read my obituary with interest. No body knows what is in store in future. Big Laaf is very close to my heart. I have love and respect for everybody -- Arun Patil to Zareena Khan. This is one team which takes care of one another, values one-another's opinion and forgets fights in no time. Where else will I find such people? I hope I am able to prove you wrong and continue to be a part of the Club's New Year programme.
Bhaswati Bose:
Please don't leave us, Mr Kiran Prakash. The (double) light of our lives will go away from the Garden!
Kiran Prakash replies:
You are embarrassing me, Bhaswati-ji. Big Laaf is a self-sustaining club. Where else will you find somebody flanked by his four saalis in a public place? It happens only in Big Laaf. Where else would 60+ brothers and sisters fight like teenagers? There is much more to Big Laaf than anybody can think of. God bless us.

3 comments:

Kiran Prakash said...

I read my obituary (?) with interest. No body knows, me too, what is in store in future. Big Laaf is very close to my heart. I have love and respect for everybody, Arun Patil to Zareena Khan. This is one team which takes care of one another, values other's opinion and forgets fights in no time. Where else will I get such people ? I hope, I am able to prove you wrong and continue to be a part of the Club's New Year programme

Bhaswati Bose said...

Please don't leave us. The (double) light of our lives will go away from the Garden!

Kiran Prakash said...

You are embarrassing me Bhaswati-ji. Big Laaf is a self sustaining club. Where else you will find some body flanked by his four sallis in a public place. It happens only in Big Laaf. Where else 60+ brother and sister are fighting as if they are teen-age. There is much more in Big Laaf than anybody can think of. God bless us.