Monday, January 06, 2020

Misunderstanding

Heated discussions in the China Hut over the Alibaug picnic
In keeping with the glorious tradition of Big Laaf, the Alibaug excursion (ref post of January 4) was headed towards a first cancellation, were it not for some last-minute efforts at damage control by members of the Club.
Bijoy Gupta, who appeared gung-ho about the ‘picnic’ on Saturday, backed out this morning. His explanation was simple: “How was I to know that I’d have to pay for myself? I thought Zarina (Khan) is sponsoring the trip.”
Hearing her name mentioned, Zarina flared up. “Who does he think I am?” she said, storming out of the China Hut where group members were gathered this morning to finalise the trip. “I never said I will sponsor anybody’s expenses. Why should I? Why blame me? I would rather not go myself. Count me out!”
The sudden turn of events led everyone to conclude that the trip scheduled day-after tomorrow will have to be scrapped. “At this rate, forget about Alibaug,” Yusuf Rassiwala reasoned when Gupta also walked out of the meeting in a huff.
Bhaswati Bose records Bijoy Gupta's 'testimony' on Saturday
“This trip will not take off.”
An air of despondency hung over the group. Over the week-end, Bhaswati Bose had meticulously worked out the essentials of the two-day excursion, including suitable ferry timings, the logistics and costs and
Three versions of same exercise! Don't
miss the flowers in Shekhawat's hands.
even zeroed in on a well-located hotel offering luxury suites at fabulously discounted rates. Everybody was on the same page, except Gupta.
Somehow, the possibility of Gupta excusing himself at the eleventh hour had occurred to a few members on Saturday. At their insistence, Bhaswati recorded on her mobile an oral commitment from Gupta (in the presence of witnesses) not to withdraw from the trip, come what may.
In view of the changed circumstances, the options open were to either abandon the trip or else, salvage whatever was left of it. Fortunately, it did not take Zarina long to retrace her steps and eventually come around. In order to pre-empt any further drop-outs, everybody agreed to pay a token advance tomorrow morning to confirm their hotel bookings.
Significantly, this is turning out to be an all-women’s trip.

No comments: