Monday, February 17, 2020

New Member

Nand Ram (in orange t-shirt) is formally introduced as member
We have an addition in the Club today with Shekhawat formally introducing Nand Ram at the end of the exercises. At age 28, he becomes the youngest member to be inducted.
In a casual tete-a-tete, Nand Ram revealed that he is in Mumbai to pursue a career in film making and is employed with a sound recording studio in Adarsh Nagar.
Purushottam Sharma
He hails from a remote village near Kota in Rajasthan where his wife resides. He does not have children.
“I have been visiting the Garden for a while and watching you people exercise,” he said. “I liked the cheerful nature of the ladies and gents in the group.
A round of musical chairs in the China Hut
So one day, I summoned the courage to ask Shekhawat-ji if I could join the group. He readily agreed on-the-spot.”
“I was impressed by his keenness to join,” Shekhawat interjected. “But I told him that he will have to be both punctual and regular for the exercises every day.
Fahmida Khan treats us to Rajasthani sweets
Otherwise he need not join the Club. When he agreed to my terms, I welcomed him happily.”
The other development of the day was of Purushottam Sharma making an appearance after ages. Following his wife’s demise about 10 years back, he does not stay much in Mumbai. He shuttles between his children in Delhi, Singapore and the U.S., but does drop by in the Garden whenever he is in town. He has an apartment in Goregaon.
Sharma is one of the ‘founding fathers’ of our Club and along with his wife, used to conduct the exercises during our formative years. Today, he sports an enviable white mop on his head and is otherwise as spiffy and jovial as we have known him in the past. We raised a fourth laugh in his honour after the exercises.
As regards the practice session for Sports Day this week-end, it was time to try out a round of the Musical Chairs for new participants to get a hang of the contest. We had a few tense moments but in the end, Zarina Khan romped home a winner, while Shekhawat emerged runner-up.

Karun Sharma:
Welcome, Nand Ram. Your uniqueness would enhance the diversity in our club. It was good to see our senior member, Purushottam Sharma-ji revive his connection with Big Laaf. I share the widower status with him as I shall complete 25 years of living alone in 2020. I have more experience than him.

1 comment:

Karun H Sharma said...

Welcome Nand Ram for and to the Big Laaf. Your uniqueness would enhance diversity in our club. It was good to see senior member Purushottam Sharma Ji revive his connection with Big Laaf. I share the widower status with him as I shall complete 25 years of living alone in 2020. Hence in widower status, I have more experience than him.