Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Conversation With Cat


A couple of weeks back a monkey paid us a courtesy visit. Earlier, a wet crow dropped in(literally!). Today, it was the turn of a white cat. Sitting on top of a ladder left behind by the Garden electrician, it studied us intently like a Wimbledon umpire.
After the exercises were done, we struck a conversation with this chap:
“Hey cat, what are you doing up there?”
“That’s exactly what I’ve been waiting to ask you. What are you guys doing?”
“We are laughing, can't you see? We come here to laugh.”
“You don’t get to laugh any place else?”
“We exercise too.”
“Then why did that spectacled joker with black shorts and yellow T-shirt chuck the dead frog away? I haven’t had breakfast yet. The fat baldie with striped T-shirt even suggested making frog soup.”
“Don’t talk like this. He’s our Arora-sah’b. He goes to Singapore to have frog soup.”
“But I see him here fiddling with the music system. You morons can't dance to save your lives and still you want to listen to music.”
“So? What’s your problem?”
“Why’s that man in dark-blue T-shirt holding his stomach all the time?”
“That’s none of your business.”
“Who’s that other baldie who wants to dance, but you don’t allow him?”
Rane? Sitaram…”
“No, not Sitaram. He’s the one who carries a ladies’ umbrella. I know him.”
“So you already know some of us?”
“I know all the women. I know Sunita has to leave early because she has a water problem at home. Ramila’s daughter is in London. Bhaswati gets up late. Monthi’s son would be leaving for the U.S. soon. Geeta’s husband is in the hotel line. So is Sandhya Narang’s. The only regulars among women are Naid Khan and Santosh Tyagi. You see, I know all about them. I am Womanizer Cat!” Saying that, it gave a sly wink and jumped off its perch.
For those who came in late, a half-dead frog was found on the floor of the Chinese Hut this morning. It had to be tossed out before exercises could begin. Hence the reference to the frog at the beginning of the conversation.
Renu Babani says:
Interesting conversation, I must say. However, don't tell me we have run out of things to say to one another! Now I know why the awful smell today in the garden. The culprit was the dead frog! Well, bet you even the frog wanted a piece of the action, but was unable to take it.
Today I observed something interesting during the exercise. (Yay!!! I managed the most unimaginable feat today... got up EARLY and managed to make it to the Garden, though was late.) Anyway, during the exercise session, it was interesting to observe two people standing on the benches... Mr Bose and Mr Rane! Yea, actually I assumed it was due to lack of space in the Chinese Hut. However, it was fun watching them doing their exercise with the rest of us, but also looked like two principals keeping an eye on their students to ensure all was fine. Yea, the music system, Mr Arora's little baby, is back in action and everyone is happy. I bet you the cat was more interested in the music than our exercises!
--Renu
Bhaswati Bose says:
I also spoke to the cat. It told me that two little cute women keep on chatting non-stop throughout the exercises!
--Bhaswati
Kishor Babani says:
Hey, let us change the exercise teacher and make Smt Narayani our new teacher for a few days.
--Kishor
Dr Sumit Paul says:
I read the post with rapt interest. The description's so lovely and lively, reminding me of Ogden Nash's My Cat's Birthday. --Sumit
Renu Babani says:
Seriously, Mrs Bose, now who are those two cute women? You got me curious! Besides, we women need to engage in some conversation during the exercise. Otherwise how will it get entertaining at the Chinese Hut? I think that is one of the reasons we get together in the morning.
By the way, I am still wondering how did I manage to get up early today (19/8) as well and was on time! Strange things happen, I guess.
--Renu

6 comments:

Renu said...

Interesting conversation I must say, however don't tell me we have run out of things to say to one another! Now I know why the awful smell today in the garden, the culprit was the dead frog! Well, bet you even the frog wanted a piece of the action,but was unable to take it.
Today I observed something interesting during the exercise. (Yay!!! I managed the most unimaginable feat today... got up EARLY! managed to make it to the garden though was late.)
Anyway, during the exercise session, it was interesting to observe two people standing on the benchers...they were Mr. Bhose and Mr. Rane! Yea, actually I assumed it was due to lack of space in the chinese hut. However, it was fun watching them doing their exercise with the rest of us, but also looked like two principals keeping an eye on their students to ensure all was fine.
Yea, the music system, Mr. Arora's little baby, is back in action and everyone is happy.
I bet you the cat was more interested in the music than our exercises!

Bhaswati Bose said...

Hey, I also spoke to the cat.It told me two little cute woman keep on chatting non stop throughout the excercises.

Kishor said...

Hey let us change the exercise teacher and make Smt. Narayani our new teacher for few days.

Anonymous said...

I read "Conversation with a cat" (August 18) with rapt interest. The description's so lovely and lively, reminding me of Ogden Nash's "My cat's birthday."
--Sumit

Renu said...

Seriously, Mrs. Bhose, now who are those two cute women, you got me curious! Besides, we women need to engage in some conversation during the exercise,otherwise how will it get entertaining at the Chinese Hut? I think that is one of the reasons we get together in the morning.
By the way, I am still wondering how did I manage to get up early today (19th) as well, and was on time! Strange things happen I guess?

Anonymous said...

Nice answers in return of this issue with firm arguments and describing the whole thing about that.



my site ... MerissaGScancarello