Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Day 349

After yesterday’s reprieve, the rain gods hit back with a vengeance this morning. They struck with such ferocity that even the dogs disappeared from the streets. And it was perfectly timed – just minutes before seven, when most members were either on the way or could be preparing to leave for the Garden.
As a result, only eight could make it for the exercises. All others, including Srichand Arora, Sitaram Hivarkar, Gopvinita, Monthi Serrao, Renu and Kishor Babani, Khatoon Baig and Razia Khan were conspicuous by their absence.
Oddly enough, many of those who showed up today are not particularly known to be regular in their attendance. Nazma Sayed looked bewildered throughout, unable to figure out how she could have left her home when it was pouring so heavily outside. Harish Wadhwa declared he had come to do a rain dance. Bapu Rane came soaked to the skin, performing a bhangra. Sunita Jajodia (below) kept cursing her luck for having chosen this morning to visit the Garden and finding herself stranded.
At one point, Sunita suggested organising tea and asked Nazma to call for her “badi gaadi” to ferry us. The latter, who has earned a reputation for her culinary skills, was already being pestered for hot pakoras from her house. Ultimately she threw up her hands, saying that all her folks were fast asleep at home.
Much of this banter was drowned by the relentless drubbing of the rain on the roof of the Chinese Hut while we exercised. The winds howled, occasionally showering us with a spray from outside. But it was fun. The good news is that Sunita Jajodia’s husband is fast recovering from a bout of malaria and viral fever. He has been discharged from hospital, but would require to “complete his course” of medication.
No wonder, she appeared so chirpy today.
Says RENU BABANI:
Congratulations to those members who were brave enough to face the pouring rains and venture out. I guess it must have been fun, but rest assured I had no regrets for not attending this morning. I was content lying in bed while I could hear the sound of rain as it mercilessly poured outside. Guess Mumbai will have no water issues. I shall not be attending the morning sessions for a few days as my sister is coming to visit. But I shall read the Blog daily.
Says HARISH WADHWA:
By the way, I did not brave the torrential rains to come to the Garden. Actually, I was thrown out of home (for some work) and had no other place to go! (Ha-Ha, LOL)
Adds RENU BABANI:
Mr Harish, do feel sorry that you had NO option this morning. However, I am sure you enjoyed being at the Garden and being part of nature at its best!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Renu babani:
Congratulations for those members who
Were brave enough to face the pouring
Rains and venture out. I guess it must
Have been fun but rest assured I had no
Regrets for not attending this morning
I was content lying in bed while I
Could hear the sound of the rain as it
Mercilessly poured outside. Guess Mumbai
Will have no water issues!
I shall not be attending the morning sessions
For a few days as my sister is coming to
Visit for a few days but shall read the
Blog daily

Harish Wadhwa said...

By the way, I did not brave the torrential rains to come to the garden...!!!. Actually, I was thrown out of home for some work, and had no other place to go...Ha Ha LOL.

Anonymous said...

Renu Babani says:
Mr Harish, do feel sorry that you had
No option this morning. However, I am
Sure you enjoyed being at the garden
And being part of nature at its best!