Friday, February 26, 2016

Fall from Grace

Mallika refuses to even look at Dilip Babani and Kiran Prakash  
Until yesterday morning, every male in the Club was made to feel like the cat’s whiskers. The ladies spared no effort at winning them over with their charms, by gentle persuasion, sweet talk, toffees, even late night text messages and WhatsApp beeps… all for the sake of votes (ref yesterday’s post). Never before had the 30-odd ladies of the Club put in so much effort into campaigning for a Woman of the Year title.
Today, as it emerged that all the votes were divided between merely five women, the very same men have become pariahs – even eyesores. “It just proves that the majority of women in the Club do not count for anything,” was Harbans Kaur’s instant comment upon realizing she had drawn a blank.
Swati Punjabi
“Are we such good-for-nothings in the eyes of men?”
“They are traitors,” screamed Mallika Kagzi, declaring war on the men this morning. “Don’t you guys dare talk to me. Don't even look at me. I don’t want to see your faces. I will never get you tea... except for the two who had voted for me.
Qadir Bano is leaving on
Umrah for a month
Just get out of my sight!”
Mallika felt all the more “hurt” because Vasudev Batheja, an old regular in the Garden, insisted on congratulating her for cornering two votes (instead of a zero tally like most others). Kiran Prakash tried to make light of the situation by humoring her – even getting down on a knee and pleading with her to cheer up. Later, after the exercises, he and Dilip Babani plonked cross-legged on the grass, trying to console her, but she refused to even give them a look!
Meanwhile, Mumtaz Jahan drew comfort from the fact that by bagging one vote, she has made up for the deficiency of last year. “I lost by one vote,” she informed. “With this year’s single vote, I am now even. I have passed. Going by my experience, it will take Mallika another 10 years to win the trophy."
Amid all the mass sulking and chiding, Swati Punjabi struck a contrarian note by stating that she thoroughly enjoyed the ten days of canvassing for votes. “Winning or losing is not everything in life,” she declared with rare perspicacity. “How does it matter who gets the trophy, so long as we all have our share of the fun? In my opinion, every woman here is a winner.”
Kiran Prakash:
I am trying to find ways to save my skin in future. Since only one paper can be given as per voting norm I have decided to have a bigger paper and write the names of all the lady members before dropping it in ballot box. Alternatively, they can give me a joint recommendation in the name of one member.
Lt Col Angad Singh from Mohali:
We hold a number of competitions every year in the Club and all of them are women-oriented. The sole purpose of these competitions is to generate fun and enjoyment. These competitions should be more humorous, fun-producing and laughter-inducing. These should be taken in light vein, or else the very purpose of the competition suffers.

2 comments:

Kiran Prakash said...

I am trying to find ways to save my skin in future.since only one paper can be given as per voting norm I have decided to have a bigger paper and write the name of all the lady members before dropping it in ballot box. Alternatively, they can give me a joint recommendation in the name of one member.

Angad Singh said...

We hold a number of competitions every year in the Club and all of them are
women oriented. Notwithstanding above, the sole purpose of these competitions is to create more fun and enjoyment. These competitions should be more humorous, fun producing and bring laughter. These should be taken in lighter vein. These should not be taken seriously otherwise the very purpose of the Club suffers.