Thursday, June 01, 2017

Wry Humour

Santosh Tyagi (c) explains the quandry she finds herself in
Done for the day -- time to disperse
Yesterday’s blistering heat was a precursor to rain. Late evening, we had a fairly decent shower that brought down the day's temperature by a few notches. The wetness was still visible in and around the Garden this morning. But humidity had shot up, taking us back to square one.
After her distressful experience yesterday (see post), Nahid Khan turned up only towards the fag end of the exercises today. So did four other ladies. They were all playing safe. In effect, it was an all-male show for the most part. We had been reduced to a dozen shiny bodies, sweating it out in the horribly muggy morning.
Nahid had a reason for showing up late. “I am observing roza (fasting),” she informed. “I could easily have taken a break, at least till such time the weather improves. Had I done so, even for a day, it would have broken my regular schedule. After that, it would be very difficult for me to return to the normal routine.”
Nahid was responding to a problem posed by Santosh Tyagi. She started by saying that the Club was important to her as it offered the only social connect she can have during the day. “The rest of the day, I have nowhere to go and stay virtually locked-up indoors,” she explained.
Now, this is nothing unusual. In the absence of an active social life, most seniors (and especially women) have come to value the one hour spent in the Garden as their only window to the world. But Santosh’s problem rested elsewhere and only she was capable of articulating it with typical deadpan humour:
R.I.P. Kanta Sharma
“I don’t know what is wrong with me. I get all dressed up every morning to go to the Garden and then something holds me back. I’d even press the lift button, ready to leave, and then abruptly change my mind. Somebody is playing mental games with me. Or maybe my ticket to heaven has been booked!”
She was of course, assured that she had done nothing in life to merit an expeditious passage to heaven. But Nahid’s advice made good sense. “Even if you are late, do come to the Garden,” she urged Santosh. “Whatever happens, don’t break the routine. Everything else will automatically fall into place.”

NEWS FLASH: With a heavy heart, we regret to inform that a very dear colleague and friend, Kanta Sharma is no more. A message from her son, Aryan tells us as follows: "My mother left for her heavenly abode today in Delhi after fighting bravely for last three months. Cremation will be at 6.30 pm today at Punjabi Bagh cremation ground, New Delhi". May her soul rest in peace.
Kiran Prakash:
The untimely demise of Kanta Sharma has shocked all of us. She was a humble, polite and pious lady and loved by all. She had accompanied us on the club's trip to Kerala and Rajasthan. We will miss her. My condolences to the bereaved family. May her soul rest in peace.
Razia Khan (on WhatsApp):
I am extremely sorry to hear of the demise of Kanta-ji. I pray to the Almighty that her soul rest in peace. My heartfelt condolences to her family.
Banoo Apa (on WhatsApp):
Oh Allah, what tragic news! I remember her as a very good human being who traveled with us to Jodhpur. What a beautiful companion she was -- a darling. May Allah give her a high place in heaven!
Bhaswati Bose:
It's still difficult for me to accept this. She has left us too soon. R.I.P. Kanta-ji, we shall always miss you. I pray to God to give both children, Aryan and Alka the strength to cope with the loss.
Kajal Babani (on WhatsApp):
Indeed, sad news. Difficult to believe and accept. My deepest condolences to her family.

5 comments:

Kiran Prakash said...

Untimely death of Kanta Sharma has shocked all of us. She was a humble, polite and pious lady and loved by all. She had accompanied us to club's trip to Kerala and Rajasthan. We all will miss her. My condolences to the bereaved family. May her soul rest in peace.

Anonymous said...

Razia Khan said:
I am extremely sorry to hear about the sad demise of kanta-ji. I pray to Almighty God that may her soul rest in peace and may god give stregth to the bereaved family. My heartfelt condolences to her family.

Anonymous said...

Banoo Apa said:
Oh Allah, what a bad news. My God! I remember her as a very good human being who travelled with us to Jodhpur. What a beautiful companion she was. Darling one. May Allah give her a high place in swarg.!

Bhaswati Bose said...

It's difficult for me to accept this news. She has left us too soon. R.I.P.Kanta-ji, we shall miss you. I pray to God to give her children, Aryan and Alka the strength to cope with this loss.

Anonymous said...

Kajal Babani said:
Indeed sad news! Difficult to believe and accept! My deepest condolences to her family.