Monday, June 24, 2019

Harbinger of Rain

Zarina Khan (c) treats us to a box of chocolates from Doha, Qatar
Today, a potential subject for Travellers’ Tales (ref post of June 22) turned up, but we had to abandon the idea. Zarina Khan distributed chocolates to mark her return from Doha, Qatar and insisted she would not speak about it.
“Frankly, I do not know what to say,” she said matter-of-factly.
Zarina explained that she had not gone there as a tourist because Doha is much like a second home to her. Her elder son is settled there for years and ever since, she has been dividing her time between Mumbai (where she is with her younger son) and Doha on a regular basis.
This time she had gone to spend the month of Ramzaan with her grandchildren there.
“Doha is not new to me,” Zarina elaborated. “That apart, I had no reason to stir out-of-doors as I am quite content being with my grandchildren. The kids are growing up and have become very attached to me. But then, there are my grandchildren here also who were missing me. So I needed to come back for them.”
Zarina is back at a good time because the worst of summer is over. The weather has turned quite pleasant now – in fact, it was dark and cloudy this morning and if news reports are to be believed, monsoon should descend upon us any moment now. In that sense, the lady is proving to be a harbinger of rain.

Lt Col Angad Singh (rtd):
Qatar is a small country. But it is an oasis of peace to those who visit it for the first time to enjoy its scenic beauty.

1 comment:

Angad Singh said...

Qatar is a small country but is an isle of peace to those who visit it once and enjoy the scenic beauty.