Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Gandhi-giri

Shekhawat presents Naheed Siddiqui a white flower on her arrival
Fed up of pulling up late-comers every morning, Shekhawat has devised a novel method for enforcing discipline in the Club. He solicitously presents a white flower to every late-comer in what Naheed Siddiqui was to describe today as a “unique demonstration of Gandhi-giri”.
There are plenty of white flowers lying scattered on the ground where we exercise, just that the later you come, the more damaged and discoloured the flower you would get. No flower is plucked from the tree.
Surprisingly, the method seems to be working. For, many of the recipients of white flowers yesterday, including Bijoy Gupta, Banoo Apa, Zarina Khan and Bhaswati Bose, reported for the exercises relatively early today.
Naheed Siddiqui was an exception. “But I cannot wake up so early in the morning,” she pleaded. “I usually go to bed around midnight and do not use an alarm to get up. As it is, I toss and turn all night. I prefer to have my full sleep and would wake up in the natural course.”
Instantly, Shekhawat put the fear of the devil in her by offering to be at her doorstep every morning. “I am up and moving by 4:30 a.m.,” he explained.
Lakshmi Hadimani (ext left) informs change of mind for her party
“Going to your house at 5:30 – 6:00 to wake you up is no problem for me. Tell me when should I come?”
Panic stricken, Naheed requested Shekhawat not to take the trouble of visiting her and that from tomorrow, she would try her best to be punctual. “Please don’t try to phone me either,” she implored. “I shall wake up on my own and be here in time!”
In an unrelated development, Lakshmi Hadimani dropped by to inform that there has been a change of plans for her 50th birthday bash on December 1 (ref previous post). She told Shekhawat not to make any phone call to members as she would herself be deciding on the guest list. “It is a private party from my side,” she explained. “Big Laaf club has nothing to do with it.”
Clearly, Lakshmi would like to be selective in inviting people for the occasion and in all likelihood, be including her relatives and friends from outside the Club. However, she is yet to decide upon the time and place of the party.

Bihari Milwani:
How does Mr Shekhawat plan to reward those who come in time?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

How does Mr. Shekhawat plan to reward those who come in time.