Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Pressing Compulsions

Some of the 'bravehearts' this morning
It took more than dumb courage to stir out-of-doors today morning. Torrential rain accompanied by strong winds lashed the city non-stop, pulling down trees and turning streets into fast flowing rivers of garbage and muck. Even the newspaper boys and milkmen were not to be seen. And yet, there were eight members who turned up for the exercises this morning.
What brought them to the Garden in this foul weather?
There are at least five distinct theories to explain this kind of madness. The first and most obvious one is force of habit. As Santosh Tyagi, who turned up half an hour late today, put it: “I couldn’t stay back. I got up as usual and since 5:30 a.m. had been sitting quietly by the window, all dressed up, waiting for the rain to stop. The moment it subsided a bit, I ran out of the house.”
The second theory, as expressed by Sitaram Hivarkar is the fear of being upbraided. “Had I not come today, you people would have pulled me up. Otherwise, am I mad to come here in such bad weather?
Monthi Serrao presents receipt of Fixed Deposit in bank
Shekhawat and Arora have this horrible habit of reprimanding people who are absent. They do not realize that I have to walk down a long way and it isn’t easy for me in the rains.”
Shekhawat has a peculiar explanation for turning up every day. “Tell me, what should I do sitting idle early morning at home?” he muses. “As it is, at my age, I don’t get sleep and am awake all night…” Arora voices the predicament of many, rather humorously: "Even if one does not want to leave home early morning, the family would throw me out. After that where else does one go, but to the Garden?”
Mohar Singh propounds yet another theory. “I was told you get 11 rupees every day for going to exercise in the Garden,” he says, recalling his childhood when he used to be given pocket money every day to attend school. No school, no money. Substitute that Rs11 for the treats and tea in the Garden and the picture becomes clear.
In all this, nobody talks of the benefits of exercising every day.
Bihari Milwani:
Let it rain or storm, be hot or cold, be Ramzaan or Eid... let there be parties or a dry day, we will continue to laugh and that is why we call ourselves as BIG LAAF.

1 comment:

Bihari Milwani said...

Let it be rain, let it be storm, let it be hot, let it be cold, let it be Ramzaan, let it be Eid, let their be parties or let there be dry day but we continue to laugh and that is precisely the reason why we call ourselves as "BIG LAAF"